2D Video Game Creation for Adventurers
Two-Week Workshop, Dates Offered:
(6/26/23–7/7/23), (7/10/23–7/21/23), (7/24/23–8/4/23)
2D video games are a fundamental piece of the games industry and a constant source of innovation in game design and mechanics. That’s to say nothing about how fun they are to play for hardcore gamers, casual players, and everyone in between.
This workshop for Adventurers introduces students to the core principles of designing and developing an engaging 2D video game. Instructors offer students a practical understanding of game development using the popular GameMaker Studio 2 engine, while analyzing what makes their favorite games so fun to play.
By the end of the course, students will have the ability to design and iterate their own basic video game which they can continue to develop and refine at home.
Projects in this workshop may include: Developing a playable top-down maze game or designing a platformer game with multiple styles of platform.
- Core engagement principles
- How to design and develop characters and cameras
- How to design and develop game systems
- GML Visual visual scripting tool
- GameMaker Studio 2 game-creation tool
- This workshop’s curriculum has been reviewed by a panel of college-level faculty from DigiPen Institute of Technology to ensure its relevance and appropriateness for students aged 9–13.
- As with every Open World workshop, a special visit by an industry guest has been arranged to help students see the connection between their workshop and real-world careers.