Concept Art and Illustration for Adventurers
One-Week Workshop, Dates Offered:
(6/26/23–6/30/23), (7/3/23–7/7/23), (7/31/23–8/4/23), (8/7/23–8/11/23)
Register by April 1, 2023 and use code OPENWORLD23 at checkout for 10% off this workshop’s price (offer not combinable with other discounts)
The work done by professional concept artists helps to guide illustrators, modelers, animators, and designers throughout the art production process. This is especially important in settings such as fantasy or science-fiction, which doesn’t always have a real-world reference that creators can refer to for inspiration.
This workshop for Adventurers covers the principles of designing characters, creatures, props, vehicles, and more. Instructors will explain different approaches to concept art and various methods of delivering art to others in a way that conveys the desired effect.
At the end of the workshop, students will be able to deliver well-thought-out concepts and illustrations that other artists would be able to use to guide their own work.
Projects in this workshop may include: Designing a CCG card in the style of Magic: The Gathering or designing and painting a robot.
- Principles of character/creature design, environment/prop design, and vehicle design
- Illustration principles (color theory, composition, digital painting methods, photobashing, etc.)
- Design processes such as reference gathering, silhouette, color studies, costume variation, etc.
- XPPen Artist drawing display
- Photoshop editing software
- Krita painting program
- This workshop’s curriculum has been reviewed by a panel of college-level faculty from DigiPen Institute of Technology to ensure its relevance and appropriateness for students aged 9–13.
- As with every Open World workshop, a special visit by an industry guest has been arranged to help students see the connection between their workshop and real-world careers.