Core Concept Art and Illustration Skills
One- or Two-Week Workshop, Dates Offered:
(6/26/23–7/7/23), (7/10/23–7/21/23), (8/7/23–8/11/23)
Tuition: One-Week Workshop $1099; Two-Week Workshop $2099
Register by April 1, 2023 and use code OPENWORLD23 at checkout for 10% off this workshop’s price (offer not combinable with other discounts)
Creating professional concept art and illustrations is one of the most versatile skills to have. From video games, to TV and film, to product design, the ability to quickly translate thoughts and ideas to paper (or screen) can be an immense help to other illustrators, animators, modelers, and designers.
This Innovators workshop covers the principles of designing characters, creatures, props, vehicles, and more. Instructors will explain different approaches to concept art and various methods of delivering art to others in a way that conveys the desired effect.
At the end of the workshop, students will be able to deliver well-thought-out concepts and illustrations that other artists would be able to use to guide their own work.
Projects in this workshop may include: Designing and painting a fully realized fantasy environment or a battle scene in space.
- Principles of character/creature design, environment/prop design, and vehicle design
- Illustration principles (color theory, composition, digital painting methods, photobashing, etc.)
- Design processes such as reference gathering, silhouette, color studies, costume variation, etc.
- XPPen Artist drawing display
- Photoshop editing software
- Krita painting program
- This workshop’s curriculum has been reviewed by a panel of college-level faculty from DigiPen Institute of Technology to ensure its relevance and appropriateness for students aged 14–18.
- As with every Open World workshop, a special visit by an industry guest has been arranged to help students see the connection between their workshop and real-world careers.