Core Video Game Programming in Unreal
Two-Week Workshop, Dates Offered:
Video games have fast become the most important source of entertainment for people of all ages, so it’s no wonder that game programming has also exploded in popularity, both as a pastime and a career. One of the most underappreciated facets of game development is the design and coding of the underlying systems behind all the bells and whistles, a skill that serves many programmers well, even in industries outside of video games.
Students in this Innovators workshop will explore game programming’s core concepts while becoming proficient in using the Unreal Engine 4 game engine. Instructors will guide students through the importance of well-coded back-end systems that make complex, modern games work the way they should.
By the end of the workshop, students will be able to program the underlying systems for game mechanics commonly used in many different genres of video games.
Projects in this workshop may include: Designing and coding a video game character or programming a special weapon/item.
- Core game programming principles
- Inheritance and event systems
- Persistence and core system controllers
- C++ (Unreal Syntax) programming language
- Unreal Engine 4.27 game engine
- This workshop’s curriculum has been reviewed by a panel of college-level faculty from DigiPen Institute of Technology to ensure its relevance and appropriateness for students aged 14–18.
- As with every Open World workshop, a special visit by an industry guest has been arranged to help students see the connection between their workshop and real-world careers.