One-Week Workshop, Dates Offered:
Locations and Session Schedule Coming Fall 2023
Young learners’ minds have the ability to invent the wildest creatures imaginable, and these are often the first steps toward a fascination with art, design, and more. Learning to refine and translate the ideas in their mind can lead to many more sophisticated skills down the line.
This Explorers workshop starts with the fundamental principles of character design and animal anatomy to lay the foundations for more realistic artistic depictions. Instructors will take students through the process of both sculpting and drawing characters and creatures from start to finish.
By the end of the course, students will be able to apply their new understanding of design fundamentals to bring all of their future artwork to life.
- Principles of character design (shape language, silhouette, pose, appeal, etc.)
- Animal anatomy and how it applies to creature design
- Sculpting and drawing basic characters and creatures from blockout to detail
- Design a Pokémon
- Sculpt a plant character in a pot
- This workshop’s curriculum has been reviewed by a panel of college-level faculty from DigiPen Institute of Technology to ensure its relevance and appropriateness for students aged 5–8.
- As with every Open World workshop, a special visit by an industry guest has been arranged to help students see the connection between their workshop and real-world careers.