Exploring Level Design with Minecraft
One-Week Workshop, Dates Offered:
(6/26/23–6/30/23), (7/3/23–7/7/23), (7/24/23–7/28/23), (7/31/23–8/4/23), (8/7/23–8/11/23)
Register by April 1, 2023 and use code OPENWORLD23 at checkout for 10% off this workshop’s price (offer not combinable with other discounts)
Minecraft’s open worlds and endless adventure has made it one of the most popular video games over the last decade. For young learners, it’s also one of the earliest entry points to teach them about concepts like digital art, programming, game design, and architecture.
In Exploring Level Design with Minecraft, Explorers will get an engaging introduction to what goes into designing video game levels using Minecraft as a teaching tool. Instructors will demonstrate different level design methods and show students how to draw on real life for inspiration when designing games.
By the end of the workshop, students will have the ability to design and develop engaging Minecraft levels that they’ll be able to continue refining and playing at home.
Projects in this workshop may include: Building and modifying mazes or designing and building a dungeon for an adventure game.
- What goes into planning and developing a game level
- Level design methods and approaches
- Drawing ideas for levels from real life
- This workshop’s curriculum has been reviewed by a panel of college-level faculty from DigiPen Institute of Technology to ensure its relevance and appropriateness for students aged 5–8.
- As with every Open World workshop, a special visit by an industry guest has been arranged to help students see the connection between their workshop and real-world careers.