How to Design a Board Game
Two-Week Workshop, Dates Offered:
Register by April 1, 2023 and use code OPENWORLD23 at checkout for 10% off this workshop’s price (offer not combinable with other discounts)
When you’re in the middle of playing a board game with friends or family, it’s easy to forget how much work went into designing something that’s both fun and fair to play. Crafting the rules, themes, and physical material can take time, but it can also be a hugely rewarding experience to do yourself.
This game design workshop for Adventurers provides everything they’ll need to produce their own board game. Instructors will help students create usable game boards and pieces, write the rules to the game, and show them how the addition of stories and themes make for a more enjoyable experience.
By the end of the workshop, students will have a fully playable board game to take home and the knowledge to create and refine even more games in their free time.
Projects in this workshop may include: Redesigning/Remaking Chutes & Ladders or designing an exploration card game.
- Crafting easily readable boards and recognizable pieces
- Developing rules and writing rulebooks
- Weaving storytelling into games
- The White Box game design kit
- This workshop’s curriculum has been reviewed by a panel of college-level faculty from DigiPen Institute of Technology to ensure its relevance and appropriateness for students aged 9–13.
- As with every Open World workshop, a special visit by an industry guest has been arranged to help students see the connection between their workshop and real-world careers.