Storytelling Through Comics and Manga
Two-Week Workshop, Dates Offered:
Register by April 1, 2023 and use code OPENWORLD23 at checkout for 10% off this workshop’s price (offer not combinable with other discounts)
Comics and manga are some of the most dynamic forms of creative media. Their popularity among many age groups means that they have a huge potential audience for artists and writers with a story to tell.
Storytelling Through Comics and Manga introduces Adventurers to some of the unique technical and stylistic features of comic creation, from fundamental drawing principles to the laying out of the story. Instructors will show how concepts like character and background design are best incorporated into comics and manga.
By the end of the two-week session, students will have everything they need to start their own digital or physical comic or manga — where they go from there will be up to their own imagination and passion!
Projects in this workshop may include: Introducing yourself with a one-page spread in two to five panels or redesigning an idol (K-Pop, J-Pop, Hololive, rock star, etc.).
- Manga-style illustration and how it applies to character and background design
- Drawing principles such as line weight, color, proportion, posing, composition, perspective, etc.
- Storytelling, layout, and panel sequences (storyboarding for comics)
- iPad and Apple Pencil
- Procreate digital illustration app
- This workshop’s curriculum has been reviewed by a panel of college-level faculty from DigiPen Institute of Technology to ensure its relevance and appropriateness for students aged 9–13.
- As with every Open World workshop, a special visit by an industry guest has been arranged to help students see the connection between their workshop and real-world careers.