Unreal Engine and 3D Game Development
Two-Week Workshop, Dates Offered:
(6/26/23–7/7/23), (7/10/23–7/21/23), (7/24/23–8/4/23)
Unreal Engine is one of the most comprehensive tools video game developers have at their disposal. This open-source program has been used to produce many AAA games such as Fortnite, Borderlands 3, and Star Wars Jedi : Fallen Order. While often the choice for big-budget development teams, it can also be used by indie developers looking for a powerful game engine.
This Innovators workshop gives students an overview of Unreal Engine 4 and covers the entire game design process with additional instruction in the development of 3D characters and cameras. Instructors will guide students through the entire game design process to ensure aspiring amateur developers or soon-to-be professional developers have a great base of knowledge to start with.
By the end of the course, students will have the ability to design and iterate their own basic video game which they can continue to develop and refine at home.
Projects in this workshop may include: Designing a complete game questline or developing a 3D-platformer game.
- Core engagement principles
- Designing and developing characters and cameras
- How to design and develop game systems
- Unreal Engine 4.27 game engine
- Blueprints Visual Scripting gameplay scripting system
- This workshop’s curriculum has been reviewed by a panel of college-level faculty from DigiPen Institute of Technology to ensure its relevance and appropriateness for students aged 14–18.
- As with every Open World workshop, a special visit by an industry guest has been arranged to help students see the connection between their workshop and real-world careers.