Worldbuilding in Games with ChatGPT
Two-Week Workshop, Dates Offered:
Whether you’re playing a tabletop game or video game, the most immersive, engaging experiences require players to believe the action is taking place in a fully realized world, full of its own characters, places, rules, and more. Worldbuilding — designing the world that any kind of interactive media takes place in — is one of the most important aspects of game design, and can inform many of a game’s other mechanics and systems.
In this Innovators workshop, students will learn how to create unique regions and characters while writing engaging quests and storylines. Instructors will show students how to build up a compelling storyline from start to finish, a skill that can be useful far beyond game design.
By the end of the workshop, students will be able to design and write custom expansions for a roleplaying game like Dungeons & Dragons.
Projects in this workshop may include: Creating a homebrew class of characters or designing a map of a town or dungeon.
- Understanding of story pacing, flow, and development
- How to design a region, its inhabitants, and interactions
- How to write an engaging multi-route questline
- World Anvil worldbuilding toolset
- Dungeons & Dragons worldbuilding tools
- ChatGPT content generation assistance AI
- This workshop’s curriculum has been reviewed by a panel of college-level faculty from DigiPen Institute of Technology to ensure its relevance and appropriateness for students aged 14–18.
- As with every Open World workshop, a special visit by an industry guest has been arranged to help students see the connection between their workshop and real-world careers.